We are big BLT people. Such big fans in fact, we dedicated the first edition of our magazine, Sandwich, to the combination. So going into the new year, as we’re all making healthier choices, we wanted to find a way to celebrate our favorite sando with a healthier twist!
No Crumbs Left by Teri Turner was the perfect selection for #SKCookbookClub, proving the new year can still bring big taste from familiar flavors. Turner, the well known author behind the food and lifestyle blog of the same name is constantly giving fresh recipe ideas for those doing a Whole30.
She’s also known for taking family favorites and creating dairy, gluten, and grain free alternatives enticing enough to make long after those 30 days come to an end. Bring on the BLT Salad, and make sure to whip up a double batch of that dressing to save for later… it’s good on just about anything.
Adapted from recipe on page 124
2 small romaine hearts (about 8 ounces total), halved lengthwise
2 medium tomatoes, each sliced into 6 pieces
8 slices bacon
Yolks from 4 large hard-boiled eggs, grated
1 avocado, chopped
1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 cup Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayo
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated fresh horseradish
1 teaspoon Sir Kensington’s Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
For the Marinated Onion Oil
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and oregano together. Add the onion to the mixture and make sure it’s completely submerged. Cover and let the onions marinate on the counter for at least 12 hours before using.
For the Creamy Horseradish Dressing
- In a food processor, combine the mayonnaise, ¼ cup of the horseradish, the mustard, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, salt, and pepper. Process until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
- Taste and add up to ¼ cup of the remaining horseradish, as desired. Transfer to a bowl, add the chives, and stir to combine.
For the Salad
- Put the lettuce halves on a large platter. Drizzle each piece evenly with the marinated onion oil.
- Add 3 slices of tomato and 2 slices of bacon to each lettuce half.
- Sprinkle the shredded egg yolks over the bacon. Do the same with the avocado chunks. Serve with the dressing.
Recipe from Teri Turner’s No Crumbs Left (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, published 2019)